Lentil & Aubergine Curry

10:13 pm


A good spicy curry is one of those meals I love all year round – they're the perfect belly warmer in the winter and just as delicious when eaten outside in the summer sun, with a warm naan for dipping.

When it comes to Indian food, my taste hasn't always been for all thats hot and fiery. When I was younger, I couldn't hack anything other than a chicken korma (with a glass of milk to wash it down).

However, after some 10+ years of testing my tastebuds, I favour more flavour! Of course, this curry can be made to suit your tastes, but for me, it's got to be hot!


Lentil & Aubergine Curry: serves 4
Ingredients

1 whole aubergine, cubed
1 pepper, chopped
1 red or yellow onion, diced into rounds
1 heaped tsp of easy garlic (substitute for 1 clove, minced)
3 heaped tsp of easy chili
100g of dried red lentils
1 bag of spinach
400ml of vegetable water/stock cube
2 heaped tsp of garam masala
2 tsp of chili powder
1 heaped tsp of turmeric
1 tbsp of oil
1 heaped tbsp of coconut oil (more olive oil is fine too!)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180° on grill. Chop up the aubergine and pepper into regular pieces. Put in an oven tray with a tbsp of olive oil, 2 tsps of chilli powder and 1 heaped tsp of garam masala powder, tossing to coat the veggies in the oil and seasoning. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, rinse the lentils through a sieve. Place the sieve over a mixing bowl and fill with cold water until the lentils are submersed. Leave to soak.

Chop the onion and melt your oil of choice in a pan. I use Aldi's Coco Loco coconut oil – which is only £2.49 for 300ml, compared to Vita Coco which is £6.99 for just 250ml. Put the onions in the hot pan, stirring in the garlic, chilli, other spices and pepper to your taste.

If you are using a stock cube, make it up. I used leftover vegetable water, which I heated up in the microwave. Once your stock is made up, add it to the pan with the lentils.

Bring the pan to a roaring boil, then turn to a simmer and cover. Leave for a few minutes, then add the aubergine and peppers to the pan, adding more spices as you like. Give a stir, then cover again for 2-3 minutes.

Add the spinach to the pan, stir again and cover. You can now turn off the flame – the curry will continue to cook in the hot pan.

This curry is delicious served with rice and a naan, or your favourite Indian snacks; my personal favourite is a couple (or 5!) veggie samosas.



 Not only is it super yummy, but it makes for a good punch of protein and iron from plant-based sources with the lentils and spinach! And, as always, its as kind to your purse as it is to your body: curry tastes even better when it racks in at 70p a serving! Thats a lot cheaper (and probably quicker) than a takeaway...


Marble-topped table: a DIY by me! If you're interested in a blog post on how to upcycle a simple side table into something that looks a lot more expensive, watch this space!
PS: You can now sign up for email notifications so you never miss a blog post! Enter your deets on the right-hand side, here :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:urgentloan22@gmail.com Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Subscribe