Moroccan Cauliflower & Leek Soup

8:58 pm


Anyone that knows me, knows I love soup. I could eat it everyday for every meal, but I'm trying to limit myself to one bowl a day... that said, this soup was too good – 3 helpings later and I'm still going back for more!


Whilst I'm not one to discriminate, I have a personal preference for a good bit of heat, especially on a rainy, grey February day. Moroccan food is one of the other great loves of my life, so understandably I was left heartbroken at the lack of closure when my much-loved Co-op's 'Moroccan Topped Houmous' abruptly disappeared from both of my local stores. I even emailed their customer services in my desperation...

*cries*
Since then, I have had to satisfy my cravings for the warmth and spice of Morocco in other ways, i.e. by adding it to EVERYTHING. Including, most recently, this soup.

The heat of the spices really compliments the velvety texture of the soup, which is naturally smooth and creamy (without the need for cream). You get that gorgeous consistency from sauteing the ingredients before hand. I really wouldn't do it any other way – I always roast or pan-fry my veggies before making a soup, it just enhances their deliciousness!


Moroccan Cauliflower & Leek Soup: serves 4 (or one if you're greedy like me)
Ingredients

1 whole head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
2 leeks, sliced into even rounds
2 onions, diced (either red or yellow is fine)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 unpeeled carrot, sliced into even rounds
approx. 650ml of vegetable stock*
1 tbsp olive oil
Moroccan seasoning – I use Asda's but you can make your own with ground cumin, some pepper, chili powder, cinnamon, ginger and paprika.


*I used a combination of fresh stock, made from the putting all the leftovers from preparing the veg (including the onion skin!) in a pan with some boiling water and simmering for an hour, as well as a Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot.

Jeans: £25.99 from Zara.
Method

Prepare all the vegetables. If making a fresh stock, use scissors to chop up the cauliflower leaves, end of the carrot, outer layer of the leeks and onion peelings into a pan with enough water to cover them.

Fry off the onion, garlic and leeks in a pan with a tablespoon of oil, adding some Moroccan spices with salt and pepper, plus any more spices, to taste.

Once the veggies are beginning to caramelise, add the cauliflower and the carrot. Fry for about 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft.

If the stock is ready, use a sieve and pour the contents of the pan into the vegetables. Bring to the boil, and then simmer with the lid on for about an hour. Add more seasoning if desired.
If the stock is not ready, turn off the heat on the vegetables and wait until it is ready.

After simmering for an hour, the soup will be ready to be blended. This is optional, however you won't experience the rich velvety texture if you don't! Blend the ingredients using either a hand-blender or a food processor/smoothie maker.

Now, the best part: eat and enjoy! I had mine with a seeded wholemeal roll to boost my protein intake, but if you really want to be authentic, a toasted pitta bread would complement the soup perfectly!

Food photography is not glamorous at all – this serving was cold and the coriander was a bit old. But the pic looks good!
Not only is this soup 'souper' (sorry) it also rocks in at only 65p per serving – thats 30p cheaper than a can of Heinz Tomato Soup  and its 30x more delicious, because it's homemade! Its the perfect warming lunch or a comforting snack after a long day, but you could easily make a filling main meal out of it with the addition of some lentils (rinsed in cold water before hand) boiled in the blended soup, and served with rice. 

I hope you liked my first recipe post, I'm always cooking so look out for some more :)


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:urgentloan22@gmail.com Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Subscribe